Fiends in Waistcoats Copyright 2012-2014 Robert Audin all rights reserved
The Zombie Incident of 1888 Copyright 2013-2014 Robert Audin all rights reserved
The Great Occult War Copyright 2014 Robert Audin all rights reserved

Wednesday, January 21, 2015

The Quest for Glue

Sunday I showed pictures of my London board progress and mention that the strange properties of the textured vinyl I'm using has been causing me trouble. So today I stopped by my local hardware store (not a big box store) and told my adhesive troubles to the owner a rather nice bloke. "Vinyl on wood?" he said and then pointed out this adhesive made to glued down vinyl floor tiles. I'll let you know next week how well it worked.

Adhesive Recap!!!!
It would not hold you can pull the vinyl right off. 
Verdict NO GOOD
Not even an act of Congress will separate it once the vinyl is placed down but if you don't get the brick registry perfect on your first try (I didn't) you're left with a piece of crap. 
Verdict NO GOOD
Ca glue works great for sticking anything together I've had great success using to glue the vinyl to plastic card bases. But again no dry time so you need to get the registry just right and its impracticable for large jobs like the street boards. 
The vinyl mat glued to Rendra 40mm plastic bases with CA glue.

Monday, January 19, 2015

1/6th of London

Ladies and Gentlemen this is 1/6th of my London Board project pictured above consisting of 2 "building boards" in this case the church & churchyard and 2 "street boards". I'll need 12 "building boards" and 12 "street boards" to make up a 4'x4' table. I've never tired constructing such an elaborate board before especially one with so many built up areas. On top of that I decided to do this literally within weeks of buying my first Victorian figures. Over the course of about two years now I've bought, traded and yes begged enough materials to do this project. All I need now is to eek out regular hobby time again and we'll be off!

As some of you may have noticed I haven't had much time this holiday season to blog or keep up with everyone's very fine blogs. I should be getting back to that on a weekly basis again starting this week.

The project has also suffered an irritating materials set back as the Lemax brick matting I've been using won't stay glued with PVA it looked like it would but the corners came up weeks later and you can just pull it right off the hard board. I've successfully used CA and contact cement, the stuff you used for kitchen tiles, but I need a glue that isn't instant so I can make sure the brick pattern registers right. Once its on it does look great and I have more than enough for the whole project.
Church Base
Church Yard with sidewalk
I varied the brick direction for the sidewalks like I've seen in period pictures of the streets of Whitechaple.